Youth Strength Training Safety
Is resistance training safe for youth athletes? It’s an important question for every coach and parent.
The bad news…
You still hear it the myths. Weight training will stunt your growth. It will make athletes muscle bound. It is dangerous for youth athletes.
The good news…
It’s safe and effective. We’ve seen it for 20 years. Today it’s backed by research and medical leaders.
Is weight training safe for youth? Here’s some experts answering.
The scientific and medical communities have come to a conclusion. It is that strength training is safe and beneficial for youth athletes.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Sports Medicine
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
Health Benefits of Resistance Training for Youth and Adolescents
Resistance training has been show to be safe and also have a number of health benefits. It helps;
- Body composition
- Cardiovascular risk profile
- Reduce body fat
- Facilitate weight control
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Strengthen bone
- Enhancing psychosocial wellbeing