To kick-off 2023 the Strength program is based on German Body Composition Training methods to burn fat and build lean tissue
German Body Composition (GBC) training is a style of training that focuses on building muscle mass and increasing strength through the use of compound exercises.
The German Body Composition method has a background in the former Eastern Bloc Sports System.
According to the story, a defecting sports scientist brought it to Germany in the 1980s. It was popularized by Charles Poliquin and has become a mainstay of Hollywood trainers preparing starts for roles where they want to look good naked.
GBC Program Methods
Here are some of the main methods used in this month’s GBC program.
- Super-setting compound exercises of the lower and upper body – this generates significant work but limits fatigue.
- Short rests of :30-:60 sec – helps to build lactate and stimulate hormonal responses
- Mid to high volume (20-24reps total per exercise) and total time under tension – to stimulate lactate build-up, and increase caloric burn
- Bonus high-intensity cardio exercise – increases lactate production and calorie burn
Changing Body Composition
Body composition refers to the percentage of fat, bone, and muscle in your body. It is important to fitness because it can affect your overall health, athletic performance, and appearance.
Having a healthy body composition is important because excess fat, especially abdominal fat, can increase the risk of a number of health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. On the other hand, having a high amount of muscle mass can improve metabolism, increase strength and power, and improve athletic performance.
In terms of appearance, having a healthy body composition can help you to achieve a lean and toned physique. This can improve self-esteem and confidence, and contribute to a positive body image.
There are two main strategies to improve body composition in GBC. Burning fat and increasing metabolically active muscle.
One way in which German Body Composition training may help to shred fat is by increasing metabolically active muscle mass.
As muscle is metabolically active tissue, having more muscle mass can boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories, even at rest. This can contribute to fat loss over time.
Another way in which German body composition training may help to shred fat is by increasing the density of your workouts.
There are a few different ways that total exercise density can be increased in a German body composition program:
- Short rest periods: By limiting rest periods between sets and exercises, you can increase the density of your workouts and increase the overall workload.
- Supersets: Supersets involve performing two exercises back to back without rest in between. This can increase the density of your workouts and allow you to accomplish more work in a shorter period of time.
It is worth noting that in order to maximize fat loss, it is important to combine German body composition training with a healthy diet and regular cardiovascular exercise. This will help to create a calorie deficit, which is necessary for fat loss to occur.
Building Lean Muscle
Exercise density and time under tension are two factors that can influence muscle growth and contribute to the development of lean muscle mass.
Exercise density refers to the amount of work that is accomplished in a given period of time, typically measured in seconds or minutes. By increasing the density of your workouts, you can increase the overall workload and intensity of your exercises, which can stimulate muscle growth.
Time under tension refers to the amount of time that a muscle is subjected to tension or resistance during an exercise. By increasing the time under tension during an exercise, you can increase the stress placed on the muscle and stimulate muscle growth.
Together both of these are used in our 23.1 GBC program to increase the total workload.
The greater overall workload leads to a better hormonal response post-workout, specifically through anabolic hormones such as testosterone and growth hormone.
Testosterone is a hormone that plays a key role in muscle growth and development. It helps to stimulate protein synthesis, the process by which the body builds new muscle tissue. Higher levels of testosterone can promote muscle growth and increase strength.
Growth hormone (GH) is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland that plays a role in growth, metabolism, and the breakdown of fats. GH can stimulate muscle growth and increase fat loss, especially in combination with exercise.
By increasing the density of your workouts, you can stimulate the release of testosterone and GH, which can help to promote muscle growth and improve body composition.
Human Growth Hormone
Boosting your natural human growth hormone (HGH) production helps with both increasing lean muscle and reducing fat.
HGH is released in pulses throughout the day, with the highest levels occurring during sleep. Some studies have suggested that HGH may help to increase fat loss, especially in combination with exercise.
One way in which HGH may help to burn fat is by increasing the breakdown of fat cells, particularly in the abdominal area. HGH may also stimulate the liver to produce insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which can help to increase the utilization of fat for energy. In addition, HGH may help to increase muscle mass, which can boost metabolism and contribute to fat loss.
One way in which HGH may help to build lean muscle is by stimulating protein synthesis, the process by which the body builds new muscle tissue. HGH may also help to increase muscle mass by stimulating the production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which can help to promote muscle growth and repair.
It is worth noting that HGH from GBC training is not a magic bullet for weight loss or muscle building and to see the best results, nutrition, sleep, and lifestyle need to be dialed in.
Supporting the GBC Program
If you want to maximize your gains during the 4 weeks of 23.1, you should support it with lifestyle strategies.
Sleep is an important factor in overall health and wellness, and can support fat burning and the release of human growth hormone (HGH).
One way in which sleep supports fat burning is by regulating the hormones that control hunger and appetite. When you are sleep deprived, your body may produce higher levels of the hormone ghrelin, which can increase hunger and cravings for calorie-dense, high-fat foods. On the other hand, getting enough sleep may help to increase levels of the hormone leptin, which can help to suppress appetite and promote fat loss.
In addition to regulating hunger hormones, sleep can also support fat burning by helping to maintain a healthy metabolism. Poor sleep quality has been linked to a slower metabolism, which can make it more difficult to lose weight and maintain a healthy body composition.
Sleep is also important for the release of HGH, a hormone that plays a role in growth, metabolism, and the breakdown of fats. HGH is released in pulses throughout the day, with the highest levels occurring during sleep. Some studies have suggested that HGH may help to increase fat loss, especially in combination with exercise.
It is important to prioritize sleep and aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep per night in order to support fat burning and HGH release.
Here are a few simple recommendations for nutrition to use with German body composition training:
- Adequate protein intake: Consuming adequate amounts of protein is important for building and maintaining muscle mass. Aim for 1.4-2.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. Good sources of protein include chicken, beef, fish, eggs, dairy, and plant-based sources such as beans, lentils, and tofu.
- Plenty of vegetables: Vegetables are an important source of nutrients and can help to support muscle growth and recovery. Aim to consume a variety of vegetables, including leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, and colorful vegetables such as bell peppers and tomatoes.
- Carbohydrates for energy: If trying to gain significant muscle mass you need to give yourself enough energy. Carbohydrates are an important source of energy for muscle building. Choose complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables, and consume them around your workouts to fuel your muscles and support recovery.
- Recovery nutrition: Consuming a quality protein shake within an hour after your workouts can help to support muscle recovery and growth. Good options include a protein shake with fruit, Greek yogurt with berries, or a turkey and avocado sandwich on whole-grain bread.
It is important to note that everyone’s nutritional needs are different and it is best to work with a registered dietitian or healthcare professional to develop a nutrition plan that is tailored to your specific needs and goals.